General teaching duties
I have taught various classes on Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Numerical Analysis and Mathematical Modelling. Students are referred to Blackboard for information on their course. I am a member of the Opleidingscommissie Wiskunde.
2015-2016: Vectoranalyse voor TG, Math A+B1 (BMT), Math D2 (BMT), Dynamische Systemen (TW), Mathematical Methods (BMT/TG), Math C1 (BMT)
I list a few interesting topics. Please contact me for more details.
- Analysis and Modelling of Epileptiform Activity Epilepsy is known for its seizures, but every patient is different. In addition, it is difficult to say how a seizure starts and evolves. Here a combination of data of models may improve our understanding. Interesting features are spatial characteristics of epileptic networks, e.g. the seizure onset zone, and time-courses, e.g. predicting jumps from normal EEG to an ictal state.
- Rhythms in the Basal Ganglia Parkinson's Disease is known for its motor symptoms. These have been related to various neural rhythms in the basal ganglia. It is a structure involved in planning and executing movements, especially the subthalamic nucleus, which is also the target for standard DBS. Models so far have focussed on resting tremor only, but voluntary movements and go/no-go tasks are clinically more relevant.
- Continuation of SpatioTemporal Patterns in Neural Fields For patterns in 1 spatial dimension, i.e. bumps and waves, numerical continuation is still feasible with standard numerics. Two-dimensional patterns and breathers remain a challenge and recent development in scientific computing should be adopted.
Continuation for Symmetric Systems The current philosophy of MatCont is to assume generic models. Network models typically involve some symmetry so their numerical analysis is impossible. This needs special treatment in the spirit SYMPERCON.
- Dorien van Blooijs (TG, 2015) Improving the SPES protocol by automating ER and DR detection and evaluation of the relation between ERs and DRs
- Bert Kiewiet (TW, 2014) On the effect of a Gaussian firing rate function and propagation delays on the dynamics of a network of Wilson-Cowan populations
- Inger Heerts (TG, 2013) Efficacy and mode of action of pulsed radiofrequency
- Albert Bakker (EE, 2011) Cortical activity of near-threshold tactile stimuli using pulse train modulation
- Wessel Woldman (TW, 2011) Computational model on neuronal stabilization in perceptual choice dynamics